1 11.11%

Thread: Cats or dogs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cats or dogs?

Do you prefer cats or dogs, and why?

I've got 3 dogs myself.
    Two small breeds, and a great dane

Now, I love them all. The great dane is my favourite because out of all 3 girls, she's the best trained one.
    I wake up, walk her, make her breakfast, let her rest (Great danes have a short lifespan because they can get complications if they run/play after eating. :< ), take her out at noon, then take her out again at 5, and feed her at 6. I always end my day with taking her out on a walk.
    The small dogs aren't as "scheduled", because I can actually handle them. If either pup eats something they're not supposed to, for example, I can just pick them up and take it out of their mouth. The great dane however... >p<
    Either way, I put a lot of effort into my doggies. The great dane I actually adopted from someone I knew, because they couldn't really take care of her anymore. She's big, and she came from a family that could handle her.
    I adore her, but it's a tedious process having to teach her that she can't smack me with her paw for attention (Oh god, the bruises and cuts! D: ) and that I'll pet her if she lays down and doesn't try to knock me over

But, while I love my doggies, I'm not really a dog person.
    I'm never getting rid of my dogs, and I sure as hell ain't getting a cat right now (I can only imagine how rambunctious the house would be...) , but if in 15-25 years I don't have any pets anymore, I'd probably get a cat.

~ЖΔЖ~

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There's no option for both!?

When I was little I definitely considered myself a dog person. My biggest wish was to get a dog and I nagged and nagged. My parents weren't too fond of the idea, since they're not really interested in keeping pets and decided a dog would be too much work, but after a few years they decided on a compromise - for my 11th birthday, I would get a rabbit! Only, I was given a cat instead My great-aunt's cat just happened to have kittens that summer, around the same time as my birthday, so we picked up one of them instead. He was a beautiful Norwegian forest cat mix, with all white fur and so much fluff, and he was so very loved. But he passed away only a year later We soon picked up another kitten though and he is still going strong, turning 15 next year.

Soo, coming to the question of this thread, I consider myself a cat person now. I feel like I just... get along very well with cats compared to dogs. One day I will get a dog though. Preferably a German Shepherd or a setter or something along those lines <3

Also Great Danes are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    I've also got fish, but they're not really pet-pets. I feed them and take care of them, but I don't exactly play fetch with them
    It would be great if you did though

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As much as I would love to say, both. I know that deep down in my heart I'm a cat person. I absolutely love dogs and I just dream of owning a border collie, but having grown up in a house with 3 cats I can't help but be so attached to them. My cat was my best friend. Pat wants a German Shepherd, so by the time we have those two dogs, my Somali cat, Pat's Bengal cat, my bunnies, our Eclectus Dory, Pat's bearded dragon or blue-tongue skink and my Spinifex Hopping mice, we'll be a very full household :P

ETA: As a side note, I think from the get go this pole is a bit bias, given we're on a TLK forum... you know... big cats and all
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KanuTGL View Post
    There's no option for both!?

When I was little I definitely considered myself a dog person. My biggest wish was to get a dog and I nagged and nagged. My parents weren't too fond of the idea, since they're not really interested in keeping pets and decided a dog would be too much work, but after a few years they decided on a compromise - for my 11th birthday, I would get a rabbit! Only, I was given a cat instead My great-aunt's cat just happened to have kittens that summer, around the same time as my birthday, so we picked up one of them instead. He was a beautiful Norwegian forest cat mix, with all white fur and so much fluff, and he was so very loved. But he passed away only a year later We soon picked up another kitten though and he is still going strong, turning 15 next year.

Soo, coming to the question of this thread, I consider myself a cat person now. I feel like I just... get along very well with cats compared to dogs. One day I will get a dog though. Preferably a German Shepherd or a setter or something along those lines <3

Also Great Danes are awesome

It would be great if you did though
    As a young child, I'd definitely have considered myself a dog person.
    However, the internet helped me get into cats

Like, c'mon, nothing beats that!

I'm sorry about your little kitty though. But I'm glad the other one is doing just fine! ^-^

I love German Shepherds! I can't attest to the 'trainability' and personality of Gemsheps, but I've found bigger dogs are generally a little easier to train and take care of. :>

I hope that whenever you get a dog, you'll be happy with your choice!

(Great danes are bae <3 )

"Mmm yeah, I play fetch with my fish"

Although, let's not forget that this is a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Azerane View Post
    As much as I would love to say, both. I know that deep down in my heart I'm a cat person. I absolutely love dogs and I just dream of owning a border collie, but having grown up in a house with 3 cats I can't help but be so attached to them. My cat was my best friend. Pat wants a German Shepherd, so by the time we have those two dogs, my Somali cat, Pat's Bengal cat, my bunnies, our Eclectus Dory, Pat's bearded dragon or blue-tongue skink and my Spinifex Hopping mice, we'll be a very full household :P

ETA: As a side note, I think from the get go this pole is a bit bias, given we're on a TLK forum... you know... big cats and all
    Hey, a full house is a fun house!

One of my pups is a border collie mix, and while it has probably more to do with her age and personality than her breed, she's so active >p<
    I prefer laid-back and "couch-potato" dogs over "HYPER HYPER RUN RUN RUN OH A FOOD NOM NOM NOM WHATS THIS WOW OH LOOK MORE FOOD NOM NOM HELLO DOG HELLO FRIENDS HELLO EVERYTHING YE YES", which is also partly why I prefer cats over dogs...
    But luckily she knows where she's allowed to go and where not, so I'm not forced to keep her on a leash. I usually let her tire herself out, then walk the other small pup

(Shh, don't tell the dogs about my skewed poll! >p> )
    ~ЖΔЖ~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    As a young child, I'd definitely have considered myself a dog person.
    However, the internet helped me get into cats

Like, c'mon, nothing beats that!
    Exactly!

Naw, same as the others above, I love both dogs and cats, with a slight more preference for cats
    At the moment I have two dogs: a Miniature Pinscher, and a Yorkshire Terrier. I love both of them to bits but I do miss having a cat. Maybe in a future I'll consider it, when it's adequate.
    If I lived in a house with a bigger backyard I'd love to have a big dog as well, either a German Shepherd or a Huskie would be a dream, I like wolf-looking dogs x3

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leorgathar View Post
    Exactly!

Naw, same as the others above, I love both dogs and cats, with a slight more preference for cats
    At the moment I have two dogs: a Miniature Pinscher, and a Yorkshire Terrier. I love both of them to bits but I do miss having a cat. Maybe in a future I'll consider it, when it's adequate.
    If I lived in a house with a bigger backyard I'd love to have a big dog as well, either a German Shepherd or a Huskie would be a dream, I like wolf-looking dogs x3
    Oh goodness, I know someone who used to have a MinPin
    Most unruly dog I've ever seen or dealt with...

It was literally all over the place, and when it wasn't busy being everywhere, running and jumping al over the place, it was eating whatever it could get in its mouth

How do you manage to keep your minpin in line?
    ~ЖΔЖ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leorgathar View Post
    At the moment I have two dogs: a Miniature Pinscher, and a Yorkshire Terrier. I love both of them to bits
    Aww, I love Yorkshire Terriers. <3 A new playmate for Matilda.

As for the poll, I would say dogs. I currently have a Jack Russell terrier, and he's awesome. At 7 years old he still has bundles of energy. He tires us all out at times. I would like a dog of my own at some point too (my kid if I don't have kids. ) I like cats too though. My sister has one and he's lovely. Cats are better for those who go out to work, dogs however need more attention and IMO you can bond with them more.

So yes, dogs. <3

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm saying cats.
    I've had cats all my life, and had to give up every single one of them Due to either death, or had to leave them behind, or couldn't take them with me in my new appartment *sigh*.
    Luckily I can still go and visit "my latest" cat at my ex his place. Though, I guess he's not really my cat anymore

I'm not a very responsible person when it comes to things like that, I could never walk a dog because "I have to".
    I do like dogs, the big furry ones, lol (golden retriever, collie, German shepherd, etc ...) wouldn't mind owning a dog, as long as it's the other persons responsibility

That's why I like cats, they are independant, can take care of their own perfectly fine, you just feed it, and most of the time it just pisses off
    Though, "my" cat is so tame and lazy, all it does is sleep 23 hours a day.

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I never had a cat, I had some dogs during the life (now I don't have any pet). Particularly I like both, even knowing they behave very differently. My building used to have a lot of stray cats, and them always were very friendly. My dogs always were nice to us, so, I like both.

Enviado de meu LG-D337 usando Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Haha, I thought of that too. And looking at the results we can see a definite trend on this forum... I thought it would be a bit more even, actually!

Also fish football. That is fantastic

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I play peek-a-boo with my goldfish. XD The tank is right under my TV, and I usually sit centered right in front of it with my laptop on a folding table in front of me-- so there's me, my laptop on a table, then against the other wall is the fish tank and the TV above it. At some point a couple years ago, I realized that the fish was staring at me while I was on the computer and/or watching TV. So I intentionally ducked behind the laptop, and the fish started swimming around looking for me! I surfaced and so did did the fish, s/he stopped swimming around and a floated up and started staring at me happily again. So I made a game of it, and we play peek-a-boo over the top of the laptop. Sometimes he can't be bothered, I got him a friend last year so he's not a bored only-fish now, but when we make eye contact and I have his attention he'll still do it. <3

But back on topic!

I am 100% more a dog person. I might be the only person on earth, but kittens freak me out. They're so fragile and pointy and have these terrifying little needle teeth in their angular little delicate bird-bone faces and huge eyes. D: I think grown cats are just beautiful, I don't get it either. But yeah....I'm a wacko who doesn't like touching or being around kittens.

Plus I've only had dogs. Shepard mixes, first my childhood dog Holly, who was some brand of reddish shepard mutt and did her not small part in helping raise me, lol, and now Wally, who is a Lab-Shepard mix and makes life worth living.
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Simba View Post
    Cats are better for those who go out to work, dogs however need more attention and IMO you can bond with them more.
    I always hear this, time and time again. You can bond more with dogs, it's just not the same with cats to me it just means that you've never bonded fully with a cat IMO. My childhood cat and I were super close, as close as any dog/human bond and I can't wait to have that bond again with a cat. People could say exactly the same thing about birds or rabbits, but you can have very strong bonds with both of those too. I really miss having a cat, and can't wait to have that connection again with one.

All that being said, I'm the kind of person who likes to fully invest into any pet I have, I need to know them and their personality and form a bond with them. I can't have an animal as a pet that's just there to interact with at times and be fed (I know some people like cats because that CAN be done with them) but that's just not how I work. Once I get a glimpse of that personality, my heart is fully invested.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I agree Azerane. You bond just as easily with cats, it just depends on how you treat them.
    I think people see cats more of independent animals, and therefor sometimes don't really bother.

It's amazing to see that when I still lived with Kenny, the cat would always go to him first, but since I moved out and when I do visit, the cat immidiatly comes to me, and I'll have to remove him myself as he won't ever leave.
    I do believe he misses me

My brother would huggle his chickens, so yeah ... haha

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always hear this, time and time again. You can bond more with dogs, it's just not the same with cats to me it just means that you've never bonded fully with a cat IMO.
    Well, I've never had a cat as a pet so haven't bonded with one that way, but I have felt somewhat connected with various cats in the past. A while ago some of my neighbours cats came round during the day to be fed and played with. One cat in particular came round for years and we developed a close bond with her (even before I had a dog). When she was about to be taken to the vet to be put to sleep I was that upset I couldn't bare to see her before she was taken there. And as I said, my sister has a cat now too, and while she is away my mum and I go to her house to feed and let him in/out, and also play with him for a while. He knows who we are because we go to her house every week for dinner.

So yeah, while personally I feel I can bond more with dogs (purely because I haven't had the chance to own a cat as a pet. The reason for that is that my mum doesn't want cats in her house ) I do still think you can develop a deep connection with a cat.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook