Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: The Lion King on TV Trope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Lion King on TV Trope

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ey/TheLionKing

the title is self explanatory, but here's something I would love to discuss.

Alternate Ending: The original ending to the movie would've had Scar actually throw Simba off Pride Rock at the end of the fight (after Simba tries to save his life). Scar then dies laughing hysterically as the fires surrounding Pride Rock engulf it, burning him to death. Simba survived the fall (ironically meaning Scar throwing him off Pride Rock saved his life) and then meets up with Nala after the fires are put out. This was changed as the filmmakers felt this wouldn't have really brought Scar to justice for his actions.
    I didn't know there's a original ending where Scar laugh himself to death.

Let the discussion begin.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, I've heard of this before. I think it was mentioned somewhere in the audio commentary, but I'm not sure. The directors wanted Scar to die in the flames at first because he would have been surrounded by the flames. And by throwing Simba over the cliff, he accidentally would have saved his life.
    But I'm glad they changed that idea to the ending we have now.
    A agree with the people from TVtropes. Simba has to be the hero so that Scar is brought to justice.
    For me, there's no other way how things should have been

"Respect the past; you never know how it may affect you."
    ~ Brom, "Eragon".

Thank you for that nice Avatar, Atimon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Actually,if I remember correctly the storyboards/cut scene of this alternate ending is available at the special edition of the laserdisc version(together with other cut/alternate scenes).What I find odd is that they didn't include those scenes in the blu-ray material.I can never understand Disney at times.I too am glad they didn't use this alternate ending though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ah yes! Thanks for refreshing my memory. The Laserdisc is where I heard of fall that.
    I can't believe they didn't put it on the DVD or BluRay. Oh well... Disney.

~ Brom, "Eragon".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirauni View Post
    Simba has to be the hero so that Scar is brought to justice.
    I honestly wouldn't have minded that alternate ending if I hadn't given it much thought, but the more I think about it, the more this rings true. Problems don't usually sort themselves out in real life. There has to be someone to say "enough is enough," and more importantly, to do something about them.

Even so, I wouldn't discount Nala's involvement in bringing Scar to justice. If she hadn't been determined to leave the Pridelands at least temporarily in search of resources, things would have likely turned out differently. It's always bothered me at least somewhat that there's this implication that only Simba would have been able to defeat Scar -- that he was meant to "remember who he is" and step in after a long absence to reclaim his throne. Perhaps Nala would ultimately have been the one to step up and say, "Scar, we've had enough. Lionesses, it's time to take matters into our own paws." At least the Broadway musical makes the lioness' plight more explicit.
    Last edited by Vidan; September 24th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidan View Post
    There has to be someone to say "enough is enough," and more importantly, to do something them.
    ...like disembowel and eat them?

I agree ;3

*hyena grin*
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's another trope from the site, this is actually heart breaking to read this to be honest, read down below

Mufasa's demise, obviously. The scene where Mufasa is killed shows the body pulled about by his son.

Two examples with voice actors. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was recording this scene and his mom was present so his director told him to imagine his mother falling; he proceeded to screw up the take by yelling "MOM!" instead of the scripted "DAD!" And then in a different dub (I can't quite remember which), there was a break in the recording and the director noticed that Simba's cub voice actor was unusually quiet and asked what was wrong. Turns out the kid's father had recently died.
    I guess the scene would be a bad flashback for Jonathan Taylor Thomas because his father died so young like around Simba's age. I would never imagine someone have to live this type of trope.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Here is the storyboard for the alternate ending, if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14TwUGQ3xE

Pretty epic scene and I do think it's awesome and dark, but I'm glad they changed it to the one that's in the film now. It's a similar thing to one of the very, very early TLK scripts; a hyena named Banagi is the brains behind it all, but the final battle is between Simba and the early version of Scar instead of the hyena, which is isn't nearly as satisfying. The hero should bring down the main villain himself :P

I didn't know that about the voice actors though. Sad, but interesting!

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seems Not Jonathan though, probably from another language dub, It says that the young voice actor had a hard time performed on the scene because his father died recently.

-----------------

I have mixed feeling about that scene, I kinda love how Scar succumb into his madness and die with it without any justice, but that's how I view things now as I getting older. That storyboard probably revisited during Simba's Pride to where Zira decided to let go off the cliff during pre production (which was cut and never made it in the final product).
    Last edited by Guntur; March 2nd, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know if Jonathan's dad really died during that time, but that would be quite sad. There's an interview with him in a Disney Adventure magazine and there he also talks about how he accidentally shoutet "Mom!" instead of "Dad!" but he didn't mention that his father actually died. So I don't know if that's really true.

I'll attach that part of the article here. It's a nice read

~ Brom, "Eragon".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirauni View Post
    I don't know if Jonathan's dad really died during that time, but that would be quite sad. There's an interview with him in a Disney Adventure magazine and there he also talks about how he accidentally shoutet "Mom!" instead of "Dad!" but he didn't mention that his father actually died. So I don't know if that's really true.

I'll attach that part of the article here. It's a nice read
    Nah. It was a mistake, I thought that Jonathan's dad died but it was one of the Father's child actor from another dub and country died. I should have read "There's a different dub" first more clearly before typing that. .
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's awful and sad, but just imagining the dismay on the crew's faces when the kid was crying is kind of funny.
    Avatar by NQN of my fancharacter is commissioned & used with the artist's permission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, my apologies Kirauni, Thank you for the magazine article, Very informative. I like it, I also believe that we may have found some of the information from the internet with that source of the magazine.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group