Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Drawing help / Constructive criticism

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Drawing help / Constructive criticism

I remember we had a thread like this in the past version of Lea. It didn't grow much, but at least it was helpful for me.
    Simply put, if you're having trouble with a drawing you just don't seem to get right (i.e. anatomy, poses, etc), post your last progress here and we'll try and help out

To begin with, I'm having trouble with a pose. It's a new drawing of my new jaguar character, Tleyotl. I chose a pose which is seen from behind him, so at least for me that's pretty hard. What bugs me the most are those back legs, especially the left one. Any idea on how I can fix that? I'd really appreciate it

TleyotlBackView.jpg

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I'm no expert on anatomy, but I think something like this would look better:

You could make those rear legs a bit shorter, and re-position the front left paw a bit further to the left. Otherwise I think you did a pretty good job.

As for me, I'll post something here when/if I struggle with something.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Twitter / deviantArt / Facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm yeah, now I see it. I did those rear legs quite longer than they should be. I'll try that solution, thanks a lot

EDIT: I thought I might show you how it's coming along after a few changes:

I resized and repositioned the legs, and I also made the head a bit smaller. It's impressive how many mistakes you get to notice after doing the initial sketch I think there are still a few things to look at and reshape, but I think I'm getting closer to satisfaction now. Thanks ^^
    Last edited by Leorgathar; July 19th, 2014 at 07:39 PM.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think if you made the head a bit bigger, it would look better. Right now the head looks small, in comparison to its ***. But it looks better now as far as the back legs are concerned, so glad I could help.

Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person: Sharifu, Sadiki, This Land, Nathalie, Lucy, Lion King Stu, Taneli, KanuTGL, Shadow, Revo and Leorgathar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    His head looks smaller than his what!?... lol

Yeah, I made his head smaller, but my reasoning behind it was that the head in the initial sketch looks awfully big (like a skinny housecat, I'd say). Jaguars have big musucular bodies, and bigger rear sides than lions. Also, it might not really affect much, but the perspective in this pose is supposed to be so the back side is closer to the viewer than the head is.
    So it looks fine to me, but I'll still take it in consideration and try different sizes, thanks

- Hamlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah ok, I see what you mean now. Sorry, I'm confusing it with TLK-style... I realise you're trying to make it look more realistic, so yeah, I think it looks ok like that.

And I said *** (butt), but it got blocked out.