Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geography of the Pride Lands

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Geography of the Pride Lands

Has anybody ever seen or attempted to create a map of the Pride Lands? The movies provide some clues. In the TLK:SE commentary the directors mention something about getting the direction of the jungle mixed up and having to reverse the image in certain places, but other than that, there is minimal information.

One can only infer based on the relation of certain scenes to one another.

So, if my logic (albeit loose) is correct, the Pride Lands might look something like the picture in this ZIP file:

http://www.freewebs.com/ericblack/map.zip

(You can also view the pic about a dozen posts down)

THE DARK & FUZZY LOGIC

* In TLK3 Timon, walking away from the meerkat colony, sees Pride Rock. Its tip (stage? runway?) is pointing left.

* As Timon and Pumbaa walk toward Pride Rock for the presentation of Simba, the sun is rising to the back of the screen (EAST) as they walk to the right. Therefore they are walking SOUTH, and Pride Rock also faces EAST.

*. In TLK Simba asks, "What about that shadowy place?" referring to the elephant graveyard. He is pointing to the right. Therefore, the elephant graveyard must be SOUTHEAST of Pride Rock.

* After Mufasa dies and Scar advises him to run, Simba runs from inside the gorge into the elephant graveyard and out into a barren rocky land which is just outside the jungle (which is where Timon and Pumbaa discover him). Since the elephant graveyard is SOUTHEAST to Pride Rock, the gorge must be (approx.) just SOUTH of Pride Rock, and the jungle should be somewhere in the SOUTHEASTERN direction from PR. (though probably quite distant). In addition, the gorge may run through the elephant graveyard (what exactly were the hyenas marching through during "Be Prepared"?)

* When Mufasa and Simba are looking out at the Pride Lands from PR ("Everything the light touches") you can clearly see a river heading off to the EAST, with a small tributary pointing NORTHWARD. The river likely heads to the Jungle, as it is moving in that general direction.

* In TLK2 smoke from the Outlands can be seen to the left as Simba watches from Pride Rock, making the Outlands NORTHEAST.

* Rafiki's tree must be somewhere in the general direction of the meerkat colony (NORTH of PR), since it's hard to imagine that he would have arbitrarily decided to go visit Timon and tell him to, "Look beyond what you see." (Otherwise, it would seem Rafiki would be the deus ex machina spinning the wheels behind the entire series.)

(Congratulations if you've gotten this far into the post and are still somewhat awake. Time for a food break? Muffin? Banana nut? That's a good muffin.)

* INCONSISTENCIES: In TLK3 there is a cave with a pool of water (the "lovely water feature"). Timon and Pumbaa are awoken by the sound of "I Just Can't Wait to be King". So have they found Simba and Nala's water hole? Assuming all of the above is true, and based on where the location of the water hole in TLK3 (NORTHWEST, according to all of the above), it is in the complete opposite direction of the elephant graveyard, which Simba and Nala tricked Zazu into letting them see. (Maybe Simba and Nala did make a U-turn and headed back past PR to the SOUTHEAST while Zazu was incapacitated).

* CONCESSIONS: There may never have been a master map, and it is possible that even if there was one the artists on TLK3 may not have followed it. This is, after all, an animated children's movie, not Lord of the Rings.

* UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:
    - Where did the hyenas come from? They are seen hunting meerkats in TLK3, yet the elephant graveyard is south of PR. Did the hyenas come from the NORTH, and gradually move in to the elephant graveyard after aligning with Scar? (This is actually a concession of my fan fiction.)

- Is the gorge/canyon somehow a distant relative of the river? Do they merge at some point?

- What is to the west and further to the south?

I was thinking about all of this because the characters in my fan fiction seemed to be running around in circles until I thought of where everything was relative to each other.

So, if any of you might have more information, clarifications, or you want to just post a message saying, "DarkFuzzy, you've done it again, you obsessive, verbose hack," that would be much appreciated. The TLK fan fiction world may one day thank us =)

* Thanks to SimbaTheMighty for helping me sort this all out and for giving me some info about TLK2 which I haven't seen yet (hopefully arriving in the mail soon).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hmm havent this been mentioned somewhere else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool work! It never came across my mind how the Pridelands looked like.

This map will be really useful for future TLK games!

Few questions though:

-How'd you know the altitudes of certain areas of the map? or is this part of the real Serengeti map?

-Where's the Desert (the sandy lands Simba ran across back to PR)?
    If that's the barren plains, why's the barren plains hard, dry ground when young Simba escaped from the gorge?

-Where's Upendi? (TLK2...)

Apology for the queries. Please note that they are not meant to be answered, but to keep this discussion going.
    (Answer them if you can, anyway)

"...in Upendi...in Upendi...haha."
    --Kovu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another thing to consider and ad to the confusion is that when Simba tells Scar he will be king and Scar asks him if Mufasa showed him " what's beyond the northern border " referring to the elephant graveyard.

As for Upendi that is the result of some marginally legal mushrooms only Rafiki knows where they grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well done DarkFuzzy, you've done pretty well considering how many continuity errors there must be!!!!!

I see what you mean about the desert Kovu but when simba returned to pride rock he came from the opposite side to the way that he left. So, unless the jungle and the desert vastly stretches all around the pridelands it just comes down to a continuity error. I think it's supposed to be the same desert (barren lands in the map) but they just got the images the wrong way round in the film!!!

And as for it being hard ground when he left and being soft sand when he returned......i dunno.......climate, he was in the jungle for a long time!!!

Also i wouldn't take TLK3 as much of a reference point for making a map, its not a reliable source, there's so many continuity errors that it'll make your head spin!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, if you wanna try and make a map of the pridelands you would probaly have to do three versions of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, I'm too lazy to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aaah you dont have to read it ruska, just look at the picture of the map!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ngatuny
    Another thing to consider and ad to the confusion is that when Simba tells Scar he will be king and Scar asks him if Mufasa showed him " what's beyond the northern border " referring to the elephant graveyard.

As for Upendi that is the result of some marginally legal mushrooms only Rafiki knows where they grow.
    Yes thats a confusing one indeed.. maybe the sun rises in a different direction in Disney Movies

Anyway this can be useful Thanks DF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Kovu
    -How'd you know the altitudes of certain areas of the map? or is this part of the real Serengeti map?

-Where's the Desert (the sandy lands Simba ran across back to PR)?
    If that's the barren plains, why's the barren plains hard, dry ground when young Simba escaped from the gorge?
    1. I haven't a clue. I only meant topography in terms of relative positions of places, not altitude. Although it seems like everything to the west seems higher. Or that might just be my imagination.

2. I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe Simba took a different route on his way back?

Originally posted by Simba the cub
    hmm havent this been mentioned somewhere else?
    Where? Do tell. I tried searching online to no avail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    OK, guys. This thread should be called "geography of the Pride Lands". It was 4am and I was half asleep.

Although if anybody has any guesses as to relative elevations I guess that would be useful too, although everything for the most part is pretty flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its hard enough to map out the main areas and geographic elements without having to worry about hills aswell!!!! But if you manage then a BIG HUGE well done to you.......momentus task!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It wont let me open it. It just keeps opening a new window with the same thread. But HOLY COW can you type!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by RyansLion
    It wont let me open it. It just keeps opening a new window with the same thread. But HOLY COW can you type!
    Try right clicking and selecting Save Target As (if using Windows) ...

My free web server won't allow direct linking to a file, so if anyone would care to host it and put an IMG link up here (thank you!), more people would be able to see the map. (I'm not sure that my Puny Site of Weakness would be able to handle the bandwith if I just put it on a page there.)

Sometimes typing is my way of thinking out loud ... Hopefully you took the muffin break in the middle. I don't wanna be gettin' no lawsuits in the mail for reckless verbosity, yo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you, kcnmttcn. BTW, those little shaded in areas are not elevated areas ... probably artifacts of the background, which I removed to make the file smaller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can I go home now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No way Ruska, you got detention!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    never thought of that before, it whold be cool to see good map of the pridelands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Ruska
    Can I go home now?
    No, Ruska, you are stuck reading my post over and over again for all eternity.