Originally posted by KovuTN
Im in the Swiss Army (as it's a militia) and therefore have an assault rifle at home.

Yet, I have to say that NOBODY who doesn't have the training and drill for handling a weapon, should be allowed to have one.

Pragmatic shooting practice is important, not only for your own safety, also to guarantee that you don't kill the one you eventually have to shoot at.
There's never a guarantee that you won't kill the person you shoot. A shot to any major part of the body will kill a person if that person is not treated immediately. I've always been taught to never raise a gun to a person you don't intend to kill. If I'm in a situation that requires shooting someone, I'm shooting multiple rounds to the chest. If I'm in a situation where I think I should be shooting a person in the knees or arms so I don't immediately kill the person, then I'm not in a situation where I should be shooting at all.

On gun control, I believe that ownership of arms is a basal right that all American's should have unless taken away individually by a court of law for gun related criminal acts. By the by, I've lived around guns my whole life being from a rural community in the US, and I've also lived a relatively peaceful life. Never had to point a gun at somoene or anything like that. Personally, I think people who haven't lived around responsible gun owners for a good portion of their life are the biggest threat.