Thanks Thanks:  6
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I now have a new job, I am now a cashier at Busch Gardens which is a theme park in the area I live in. Today is my 5th day working there, and I'm really loving it so far though some days like this past Tuesday I have to sell merchandise outside, and that's a bit hard due to the weather, but I get to interact with other people, so it pays off pretty well.

Previously "Kitty17794" :) Miss Mandz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Woo for fellow theme park employees!

I'm currently an Entertainment employee at Walt Disney World, but I'm in the process of a transfer to Photopass.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ooh, nice, Miss Mandz! What's it like to work at WDW?

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still working on finishing my PhD in aquatic ecology -- then I'm gonna get me all that biology money. All eight dollars of it.

In the meantime, I work grueling hours for little pay in a field that is saturated and competitive. But I can't complain, I enjoy it and I still make enough to put food on the table and liquor in the cabinet. Plus I do some odd jobs on the side and build a custom guitar every few weeks that I'll consign at a local music shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Custom guitars..nice

5 hours a week in a video shop, 5 hours a week in a nut/lolly shop, casual as cinderella and tinkerbell for a children party planning shop, 3 hour music gig friday night, 3 hour gig once a month at surfclub, any buskng in between and applying for other jobs that you never hear back from .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a graphic designer and digital printer! :- )

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ooh, nice! That's basically what I'm studying to become, haha... xD

...I also love your avatar :P

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/ | http://www.wildlifenow.com/
    -----
    Lea members I've had the pleasure of meeting in person:
    Shadow, This Land, King Simba, Daniel, Lion King Stu, Amaryllis, Safila,
    Sharifu, Sadiki, Taneli, Leorgathar, Nathalie and Lucy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Kanu! :- ) It's a pretty fun career but you deffo have to slug it out in a Junior position for a while before you really get your graphic groove on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What does a digital printer do?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...thread bump!

Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself but I had two job interviews this week! I've been applying to places for a while and not hearing anything back (I live right next to a college--there are plenty of people in my age group with basically the exact same experience, so, lots of competition). So, interviews are good progess!

I had one interview earlier today at a local movie theater chain. It was actually my first formal job interview... I was kinda nervous and I think I babbled a bit, but the interviewer seemed to like me well enough and we hit on a common interest, so fingers crossed. I'm supposed to hear back from him tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I've got another interview on Friday at Torrid, which is basically a "trendy" clothing store for plus-size women. I'm afraid I don't fit into their fashion bracket, but I do like the store, so if I don't get the theater job, maybe that one will work out.

...I've also been applying at Hot Topic and Spencer's, because they're the only places I can think of that will let me have blue hair and piercings. Hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yay! All the best for some positive results from those interviews
    That which you manifest is before you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I had a written test last week, and *who would have thought* I failed

There were things on there I just didn't understand, and I cannot get it, how others did manage to ...
    Must be me *shrugs*

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember reading this thread but I never actually posted what my job was...so here I go! I am an elementary art teacher for grades Kinder-5th. (that's 5-11 years old) It's not a bad gig, and I enjoy it in some ways but it is a huge life/time sucker and I'd like to be able to dedicate more time to working on my drawing skills so I can one day be a book illustrator or concept/storyboard artist of some sort. Been better about making time for drawing lately, but I need to do more.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Twitter Instagram Facebook

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
    And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream." ~Paulo Coelho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wish you all the good luck, Sombolia, I hope you get a job at that movie theatre, or wherever you're comfortable in ^^ And Nathalie, failing tests happen, I got to fail quite a number of them too before. See it more like experience and less like defeat, surely you can do well. Don't give up

I might as well update my work status, even if many of you know already. I'm doing a year of social service at the Central Hospital here. I usually get so see 6 to 8 patients a day, so it keeps me well busy during my evenings. When I'm not seeing patients, I can go to the recovery rooms in the hospital to check on the mouths of patients in other areas for extra points in my service, and sometimes I get called to a different area to help identify a particular mouth/neck disease. I also have to give a small presentation daily about oral hygiene to people gathered in the waiting room, as well as ocassionally special presentations for people with Diabetes and AIDS.
    The downside is that the payment is ridiculously low (My social service is actually more like a year of experience after graduating college without real pay, it's a requirement for getting my proffessional degree, but in some few places like the hospital I can still get paid a small amount while in most social service places they don't pay at all, so I can't really complain, hehe). At least I can still work out of the hospital by myself in my own place, and I can fix the price of my treatments there, so that makes up well for it.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    - Hamlet

Lea users I've met in person: King Simba(x7), This Land(x2), KanuTGL(x2) and Lion King Stu(x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys ^^ I never did get a call back from the theater, but I have an interview with Hot Topic now too! They called me the very next day after I turned in my application, so it seems they either really liked my app or are really desperate for workers... either way works for me Really crossing my fingers for that one

Aw, it's ok, Nathalie. I know you must be bummed but everyone has things they're just not good at! Like Leor said, take it as experience. I hope it goes better for you next time

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After 2,5 years of not having a job, I managed to get a 6-month contract with our health care (social security), I started last February.
    I signed a new 6-month contract yesterday!

Mixed feelings, the job is OK, the people not so much
    After I signed the new contract, my supervisor told me what she wrote on my evaluation papers, work was all great, but everything personal about me, was bad

Lea Members I've met...
    LKD 1x, Sharifu 2x, STM 2x, This Land 8x, Lucy 11x, Amy 1x, LKS 2x, KanuTGL 1x, Dani 2x, Dan 2x
    Shadow 1x, King Simba 2x, Nephilim 1x, Naline 1x, jazzybbunny 3x, cleargreenwater 1x, HasiraKali 1x, Vidan 1x
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That is sad to hear Nathalie. Yeah some of the co workers are just mean and purely stupid. >.<

For me, It's not a career but I'm really looking forward to work with this company, Driving a Google Street View car around the capital city showing off what's the landmark of the South East Asia most thrill capital city. It's a contract basis for 2 month with 4,000 MYR (1,250 USD) within 2 month.

God I will make an ultimate gaming in this house and will never spent anymore money in 3 years over my PC build.
    (12/16/2014 - 4/6/2006)

(07/11/2011 - Current time)

Join us in
    Lea Halalela Steam Group

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I pay people back, so I'm working with money, so I'm very concentrated.
    Also, even though I'm in the same room as the other people, they are much closer together then I am, I'm a bit further away, so I can hardly understand what they are talking about. And sometimes they also whisper, I don't know why? *shrugs*

They talk behind my back (I heard them 2 weeks ago, through a door, how I only say stupid things and when it's about Disney).

So yeah ... I don't have the need to talk to them really.
    I'm also not from the neighbourhood, and they mainly talk about fancy dinners and holidays, which I know nothing about.

So she wrote on the papers that I don't care for my co-workers.
    I don't ask how the weekend was, how their holiday was.

Well, when I had my holiday in June, they didn't ask me either! And I did talk! It's after I came back from my week off, I felt like I was being even more ignored then before.

I'm very mad, that even though I talked about this 3 weeks ago, she still made a report like that about me, which is only from her point of view, instead of talking to me first about these issues!
    Because now it makes me look like I'm the real bad guy, which I'm not

Lea Members I've met...
    avater = Sharifu

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They really shouldn't be evaluating you on a personal level. I mean, getting along and working with/as a team is important, but you by no means have to "care for your coworkers". I couldn't stand most of the adults I worked with at my last job, but I was always nice to them. Despite them not having any appreciation for me.

I'm still a 7th grade science teacher, but I'm moving to a new school this year. I'm so excited about it, but I'm also really really nervous. I'm going to be working at the school that I attended, and it's going to be interesting to say the least. My new classroom is almost twice as big as my old one. It looks so empty right now. I have a lot of work to do.

We are so much more complicated than our names.
    *Team Night Sky*
    Por favor, manténgase alejado de mi chocolate.
    If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.

Gone
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @Nathalie:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. :/

It sucks, because it's the stupid mentality of the people - nobody is actually getting to know you..and I dislike when people become narrow minded at work. so what if you talk about Disney?

I never evaluate a person on their "personal" skills unless they are popping off to customers rudely. I evaluate a person based on whether or not they can do your job, and frankly if you are doing your job they have nothing to argue with you about.

A similar thing has happened to a coworker here, but they're just aloof. They don't feel a need to inquire about others lives, they stay very distant but do their job above and beyond and are being condemend by other associates who take them the wrong way. I hate to see it happen.

I remember when my chief from out of the distract came in to evaluate me, he mentioned I was not very pesonal and I laughed. I told him that I was no hired to be personal but to do my job, and that I do very well so much so I am teaching others - so it is irrelevant until it becomes a job requirement to be personal.

I don't get it, what's the deal about "caring for coworkers" - if you can work with them, get your jobs done and go home and be at peace who cares.
    The IDEAL setting is yes, where you mesh woith everyone but frankly some people are boring or dumb all their negativity onto you. I've elarned to fake it to make it - I'm friends with everyone without compromising myself but this has required me to literally tell some people to screw themselves because they are rude, take advantage of good nature or are invasive.

It's very complicated, and has more to do with the job setting than yourself unfortunately.
    These tactis would get me fired at my last job...you never know.